Monday, November 22, 2004

MoveOn Party & more think tanks

The MoveOn Party at Oola Latte last Sunday was attended by about 100 people! It was well organized by Lanya and quite a few group leaders. Several folks from our group were there. First we watched the Lakoff video and practiced applying progressive values to issues we are concerned about. Next we did a role play of a Cross-Fire show, with 3 conservatives vs 3 liberals. The audience easily noticed that the people playing conservatives had an easier time spouting their philosophy than the bona fide liberals did. I stuck my neck out as one of the liberals, and have come up with some more wording for arguing about the Iraq war after a night's rest. (the old "I wish I had said such and such" dilemma). I put those ideas in another post.
We had a conference call with MoveOn staff member, Eli, at a party in NY. Everyone at all the parties voted on which issues we think MoveOn should tackle next. The big winners were to develop a clear progressive message, and some type of voter reform/ voter verification. I'm sure you will get more details from MoveOn.
I mentioned our Living-room Think Tank, and recommended that others form similar groups. It is my hope that we can share topics and tips with other groups. With practice I'm sure we can improve our ability to communicate the sense behind our positions, and give each other the encouragement we desperately need to continue working for positive change.

No comments: